Near Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Rearming the Fort
After the Civil War, the fort's first-tier casemates including those before you, were rearmed with 100-pounder rifled Parrott cannon. These guns came from Morris Island, about one mile south of here, and could be the same guns the Union fired on Fort Sumter during the Civil War. Eleven Parrott guns occupy these right face casemates today.
Erected by Fort Sumter National Monument, South Carolina - National Park Service - U.S. Department of the Interior.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War, US Civil.
Location. 32° 45.151′ N, 79° 52.455′ W. Marker is near Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is located at Fort Sumter National Monument and only reached by boat. See links below for more information about access to the site. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Charleston SC 29412, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers The Columbiad (a few steps from this marker); 6.4-Inch (100-Pounder) Parrott (a few steps from this marker); 8-inch (200 Pounder) Parrott (within shouting distance of this marker); H.L. Hunley (within shouting distance of this marker); Controlling the Harbor (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Moultrie (within shouting distance of this marker); Flags of the Fort (within shouting distance of this marker); Siege of Fort Sumter (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
More about this marker. On the lower left of the marker is a photograph of Rifled Parrott cannon on siege carriages, Morris Island, 1864. Guns like these, perhaps even the ones pictured here, were moved to the casemates in front of you in the 1870s.
On the right are photos of the cannons and casemates taken during restoration. When the United States modernized its seacoast defenses in the 1890s, these casemates were filled with sand to strengthen the old fort. Excavation in 1959 opened the casemates and the mounted Parrott guns were discovered.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 13, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 845 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 13, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.