Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cockburn Town in Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos Islands, British Overseas Territories — North Atlantic Ocean
 

St. Mary’s Anglican Pro-Cathedral Church

 
 
St. Mary's Anglican Pro-Cathedral Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By AGS Media, October 23, 2008
1. St. Mary's Anglican Pro-Cathedral Church Marker
Inscription.  This church was first built as a ‘chapel of ease’ in 1900 to accommodate the parishioners of Cockburn Town. At that time, St. Thomas’ Church, which was the first church in Grand Turk, was quite a distance from the town and made it particularly difficult for evening worship. The Church was designated a Pro-Cathedral of the diocese of the Bahamas and Turks & Caicos Islands in the 1990s. Every diocese has a Cathedral, and as the Turks & Caicocs [sic] Islands are politically separated from the Bahamas but still ecclesiastically part of the Nassau diocese, St. Mary’s can be used as a Cathedral if the Bishop of the diocese wishes to do so. (Marker Number #13.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionNotable BuildingsPolitical Subdivisions. A significant historical year for this entry is 1900.
 
Location. 21° 28.051′ N, 71° 8.794′ W. Marker is in Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos Islands, in Grand Turk. Marker is at the intersection of Front Street / Queen Street and Hall's Alley, on the left when traveling south on Front Street / Queen Street
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. St. Mary's Anglican Pro-Cathedral Church is located in downtown Cockburn Town overlooking the water along the west coast of Grand Turk Island. Front Street changes to Queen Street going north to south near this spot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Front Street / Queen Street, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos Islands TKCA 1ZZ, British Overseas Territories. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Victoria Public Library (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Todds (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Timco (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Grant Building (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Crofton Coverley House (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Free Mason's Lodge (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Sunnyside (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The History of the West (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cockburn Town.
 
More about this marker. Marker is mounted directly in front of the church, to the left of the building's door, along a short wall of white mortar which surrounds the church.
 
Regarding St. Mary’s Anglican Pro-Cathedral Church. The church is white with a bright red roof, shutters, and trim.

Directly in front of the main doorway and inside the walled enclosure is a memorial for World Wars I and II.
 
Additional keywords.
St. Mary's Anglican Pro-Cathedral Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By AGS Media, October 23, 2008
2. St. Mary's Anglican Pro-Cathedral Church
The Marker is visible on the right, mounted along the outside wall. This photo was taken shortly after Grand Turk sustained a direct hit from Hurricane Ike in September, 2008 (thus the broken streetlamp).
Religion
 
War Memorial at St. Mary's Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By AGS Media, October 23, 2008
3. War Memorial at St. Mary's Church
To the glorious dead
1914 - 1919
1939 - 1945


The above message referencing the periods of WWI and WWII is inscribed on marble and stands directly before the front entrance to the church at St. Mary's.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 6, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,712 times since then and 47 times this year. Last updated on May 13, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 6, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.   3. submitted on May 16, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=30674

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 22, 2024