Sitka in Sitka Borough, Alaska — Northwest (North America)
The 1910-1911 Campus
Voices of Sheldon Jackson School and College
Photographed by Shirley A Stirling, August 5, 2026
1. The 1910-1911 Campus Marker
Inscription.
The 1910-1911 Campus. Voices of Sheldon Jackson School and College. , In 1910, the Sitka Industrial Training School closed for a year as contractors, volunteers and students replaced the original buildings with this state-of-the-art campus., The New York City architectural firm of Ludlow and Peabody included Tudor, Western Stick, and Cratsman elements in their design., Staff and students renamed the school for Missionary Sheldon Jackson, who had died in 1909., [Captions:] ,
Stevenson Hall 1911. Named for donor Caroline Stevenson, the upper floor was the small girls dormitory. Now owned by the Sitka Music Festival.,
North Pacific Hall and Storehouse 1911. Named for the North Pacific Board of Missions, this was the big girls dormitory and school dining rooms. The storehouse was for storing food.,
Allen Memorial Hall 1911. Named for Richard H. Allen, whose widow raised funds for its construction. The upstairs classrooms across the front of the building are divided by a wall that could be lifted into the attic. The main floor was used as a gymnasium, and for assemblies and plays.,
Whitmore Hall 1911. Originally named Home Missions Monthly Hall, for the Presbyterian magazine, later renamed for the teacher Gladys Whitmore. this was the big boys dormitory, with administrative offices on the first floor.,
Heating Plant (behind) and Fraser Hall (1911). Named for Presbyterian missionary Thomas Fraser by the Woman's Board of Home Missions, this was the small boys dormitory., The laundry had a patent clothes dryer, with racks for clothes that rolled into a compartment lined with heating pipes. It had a mangle, with heated rollers for drying and pressing sheets and tablecloths, which is as dangerous as it sounds: one girl lost her hand., The central heating plant replaced dozens of heating stoves, greatly reducing the risk of fire. The buildings' exteriors are engineered to direct water outward, reducing the threat of rot: the technology integrated into the campus design has contributed to its longevity.
In 1910, the Sitka Industrial Training School closed for a year as contractors, volunteers and students replaced the original buildings with this state-of-the-art campus.
The New York City architectural firm of Ludlow and Peabody included Tudor, Western Stick, and Cratsman elements in their design.
Staff and students renamed the school for Missionary Sheldon Jackson, who had died in 1909.
[Captions:]
Stevenson Hall 1911
Named for donor Caroline Stevenson, the upper floor was the small girls dormitory. Now owned by the Sitka Music Festival.
North Pacific Hall and Storehouse 1911
Named for the North Pacific Board of Missions, this was the big girls dormitory and school dining rooms. The storehouse was for storing food.
Allen Memorial Hall 1911
Named for Richard H. Allen, whose widow raised funds for its construction. The upstairs classrooms across the front of the building are divided by a wall that could be lifted into the attic. The main floor was used as a gymnasium, and for assemblies and plays.
Whitmore Hall 1911
Originally named Home Missions Monthly Hall, for the Presbyterian magazine, later renamed for the teacher Gladys Whitmore. this was the big boys dormitory, with administrative offices on the first floor.
Heating Plant (behind) and Fraser Hall (1911)
Named for Presbyterian missionary Thomas Fraser by the Woman's Board of Home Missions, this was the small boys dormitory.
The laundry had a patent clothes dryer, with racks for clothes that rolled into a compartment lined with heating pipes. It had a mangle, with heated rollers for drying and pressing sheets and tablecloths, which is as dangerous as it sounds: one girl lost her hand.
The central heating plant replaced dozens of heating stoves, greatly reducing the risk of fire. The buildings' exteriors are engineered to direct water outward, reducing the threat of rot: the technology integrated into the campus design has contributed to its longevity.
Location. 57° 3.05′ N, 135° 19.466′ W. Marker is in Sitka, Alaska, in Sitka Borough. It is on Lincoln Street west of College Drive, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 801 Lincoln Street, Sitka AK 99835, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Southeast Alaska, in Tlingit and Haida & Tsimshian Region. It is also on the American Pacific Coast. Globally, it is in North America, in the Inside Passage, on the Ring of Fire, in the Pacific Rim, in the Western Hemisphere, in the Western World, and in the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Russian Empire.
Photographed by Shirley A Stirling, August 5, 2026
3. The 1910-1911 Campus Marker
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2026. It was originally submitted on August 8, 2026, by Shirley A Stirling of Lacey, Washington. This page has been viewed 14 times since then. Photos:1, 2, 3. submitted on August 8, 2026, by Shirley A Stirling of Lacey, Washington. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Verification of the geocoordinates (may be submitted via an edit using the Use Map feature in the form). • Can you help?