Brooklyn Heights in Kings County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Acknowledged now as Brooklyn's greatest architect, Freeman was a master of the Eclectic Romanesque Revival style. His metaphor of warehouse as fortress — impregnable, massive, permanent — was singularly fitting and reassuring for the owners of the valuables stored within. Underground, a "moat" of air even surrounds the foundation, protecting it from water seepage.
Freeman wrapped the warehouse around the one structure left by the newspaper. Its three story pressroom, built in 1882, at the corner of Doughty Street and Elizabeth Place, where you can detect its roofline today. In 1906, he added another building in the same style, east of his first. The warehouse was converted to residential use in 1979.
Erected 1994 by Eagle Tenants Corporation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1894.
Location. 40° 42.133′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 28 Old Fulton Street, Brooklyn NY 11201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Walt Whitman (here, next to this marker); No. 1 Front Street Conversion (within shouting distance of this marker); Brooklyn City Railroad Company Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); History in the Park (about 500 feet away); Brookland Ferry Landing (about 600 feet away); Fulton Street Pier (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named History in the Park (about 700 feet away); The Builders of the Bridge (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brooklyn.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2023. It was originally submitted on May 17, 2010, by R. C. of College Station, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,067 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 17, 2010, by R. C. of College Station, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.