Near Oakley in Essex County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Mann Meeting House
Erected 1929 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number N-26.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 37° 47.065′ N, 76° 45.724′ W. Marker is near Oakley, Virginia, in Essex County. Marker is on Tidewater Trail (U.S. 17) north of Ashdale Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Center Cross VA 22437, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Middlesex County / Essex County (approx. 2.9 miles away); Site of Rappahannock Industrial Academy (approx. 4.4 miles away); Fort Lowry-Camp Byron (approx. 6.1 miles away); Lower King and Queen Baptist Church (approx. 7.2 miles away); Fort Lowry (approx. Mattapony Church (approx. 8.2 miles away); Trade Routes (approx. 9.3 miles away); Cyrus Griffin’s Birthplace (approx. 9½ miles away).
Also see . . . On the Road in Essex County - N-26 Mann Meeting House. 2019 article by Zorine Shirley in the River County News. Excerpt:
As of July 4, 1776, the Anglican Church ceased to exist in the newly independent America. Colonists had the freedom — the liberty — to worship as they preferred. Puritans dominated Massachusetts and the northern colonies; the Quakers in Philadelphia; and dominant in the southern colonies was the Anglican Church initially, then later Episcopalian and Baptist faiths.(Submitted on September 17, 2020.)
Virginia was not dominated by any one faith; many of the different denominations were scattered in the area and fought each other for converts. In the 1780’s, the Methodists broke away from the Episcopal Church and by the 1790’s some settled here in southern Essex County at the Mann Meeting House.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 21, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,096 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 21, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 2, 2011, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.