Frisco in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Depot
Replica
The St. Louis-San Francisco Railway Company was established in 1849, and its expanding rail lines reached the Frisco area in the early 1900s. The first train rolled through town on March 20, 1902, as the tracks from Denison to Carrollton were completed. The site for the train depot and town was chosen to take advantage of the water from nearby Stewart Creek. A dam was constructed by the railroad and Frisco Lake was formed, supplying ample water for steam locomotives as well as recreation for residents.
The Depot was located on the west side of the railroad tracks near Main Street for 63 years. The original depot was removed in 1965 and the replica you see today was built from the original plans. The interior consisted of waiting rooms, an agents office, and a large warehouse for freight. The waiting rooms and office space were heated by pot-bellied stoves and lighted by oil lamps.
The Depot was the hub of the town as it provided not only transportation, but also an outlet for entertainment as locals would gather in anticipation to see who would get off the trains. The local economy relied on the railroad to transport farmers crops and bring in goods and supplies for the residents of Frisco. Freight trains still pass through Frisco today on the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad.
Heritage Stories
Have you ever wondered how the City of Frisco got its logo? In the late 1800s, G.H. Nettleton, vice president of the St. Louis-San Francisco Railroad, noticed a raccoon hide tacked to the wall of the railway station at Neosho, Missouri during an inspection. Agent Sam Albright supplemented the income from his railway job by hunting raccoons to sell the hides. When Nettleton heard of Albrights financial struggles, he bought the hide from Mr. Albright for $2. Shortly after, the shape of the raccoon hide oriented horizontally started showing up in the railroad headquarters in St. Louis. The railroad name Frisco was a combination of the FR from San Francisco, the IS from the end of St. Louis, and the CO from Company. When BNSF merged with the St. Louis-San Francisco Railway Company in 1980, the Frisco logo was no longer used. The City of Frisco acquired the rights to use it in 2007.
Passenger tickets for travel on the Frisco line were sold in packets. Frisco lines provided service throughout the southern and midwestern United States.
The early steam engines that passed through Frisco required water that was supplied by the nearby Stewart Creek. Tanks like this one were located near the Depot.
Original Frisco Depot, early 1960s.
Erected by Frisco Heritage Center.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical date for this entry is March 20, 1902.
Location. 33° 8.968′ N, 96° 49.814′ W. Marker is in Frisco, Texas, in Collin County. It is at the intersection of Page Street and Railroad Ave, on the right when traveling east on Page Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6499 Page St, Frisco TX 75034, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the Prairies & Lakes Region and in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Republic of Texas, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Smith-Muse House (within shouting distance of this marker); Gabys Blacksmith Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); Steam Engine & Caboose (within shouting distance of this marker); Calaboose (within shouting distance of this marker); Schoolhouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Picture Show (approx. 0.4 miles away); McIntire-Montgomery Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Carpenter Bros. Ford Dealership (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frisco.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2026. It was originally submitted on August 16, 2026, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 9 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on August 16, 2026, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
