Frisco in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Gaby’s Blacksmith Shop
Replica
“Under the spreading chestnut tree, the village smithy stands…” —The Village Blacksmith by Henry Wildsworth Longfellow
This poem was memorized by American school children into the 1950’s and reminds us that rural villages throughout the country depended on the skills of a local blacksmith. When Frisco was founded in 1902, it was a rural farming community that needed wheel rims, plows and many other things necessary for farm life.
A.J. Gunstream was one blacksmith in the area before the establishment of Frisco. Gunstream set up a shop at his farm in Erudia, about a mile north of present day Frisco, to serve his personal needs and those of neighboring farmers. When Gunstream moved to Frisco around 1914, he set up a forge at his home and eventually a blacksmith shop at the corner of Third and Main Streets.
Gunstream retired in 1932 and J.T. Gaby bought the business with his brother, Tom. They changed the name to Gaby’s Blacksmith Shop. In 1918, J.T.’s son, Mack, bought out his Uncle Tom’s interest. Harry, another son of J.T., joined the family business when he returned from WWII military service in 1945. Harry and Mack continued to operate the business after the death of their father. The shop had a reputation of being able to fix anything made of metal and could build almost anything local farmers might need.
Gaby’s closed in 1985. The contents were sold at auction, many to those who had depended on Gaby’s through the years. This replica of Gaby’s Blacksmith Shop has a similar layout to the original.
Heritage Stories
When the Frisco Heritage Center began to take shape, Bob Griffin knew that a collection of historic buildings representing Frisco’s past would not be complete without Gaby’s. Griffin began to acquire donations from those who had a history with the shop or were passionate about preserving a different way of life. Items that had been purchased at auction when Gaby’s closed in 1985 began to return to the replica shop. The forge was fired up, the anvil was put in place and even the “Men’s Room” facility was recreated.
Volunteer blacksmith groups came to practice their skills and provide demonstrations. Without Bob Griffin’s dedication and efforts, this Gaby’s replica would not have been built and the history of the craft would not be preserved for future generations.
Bob Griffin | photo by Donna Anderson
Erected by Frisco Heritage Center.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1902.
Location. 33° 8.969′ N, 96° 49.79′ W. Marker is in Frisco, Texas, in Collin County. It is at the intersection of Railroad Avenue and Page Street, on the right when traveling north on Railroad Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8680 Railroad Ave, Frisco TX 75034, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the Prairies & Lakes Region and in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Republic of Texas, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Steam Engine & Caboose (a few steps from this marker); The Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); Smith-Muse House (within shouting distance of this marker); Calaboose (within shouting distance of this marker); Schoolhouse (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Picture Show (approx. 0.3 miles away); McIntire-Montgomery Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Carpenter Bros. Ford Dealership (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frisco.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2026. It was originally submitted on August 16, 2026, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 4 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on August 16, 2026, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.
