Frisco in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Smith-Muse House
This prairie-style farmhouse was built by Alfred Fletcher “A.F.” Smith Jr. and his wife Harriet “Lou” McKnight Smith around 1905 on land first settled by the builder’s parents Alfred Fletcher Smith Sr. and Elizabeth “Betsy” Griggs Smith in the 1850s. The original location of the home and farm of approximately 200 acres was near the current intersection of Rose Lane and Stonebrook Parkway in western Frisco. A.F. and Lou lived in this home until their deaths in the 1930s, raising five children during that time—Victoria, Donia, Frank, Rollie, and Annie.
The Smith home had two parlors and a dining room downstairs and four bedrooms upstairs. Constructed before electricity and running water, the kitchen was in the rear of the home, with a wood stove and a built-in pantry for dishes. A gathering place for extended family on Sundays and holidays, this home was a focal point of many fond memories, particularly those regarding meals and “Grandma Smith’s” famous tea cookies.
After the deaths of A.F. and Lou, the home and land were sold, and their oldest son Frank continued working for the new owner until he repurchased both the home and farm in the 1940s. A successful farmer and businessman, Frank and wife Alice lived in the home until her death in 1959, and he sold the home and land in 1962, remarried and moved into the town of Frisco.
Among the fourth generation of Smiths, the daughter of A.F. and Lou’s youngest son Rollie, Betty Smith Muse re-purchased the house and five acres in 1999 and made it her home until 2004.
In partnership with Pulte Homes, developer of the Villages of Frisco Lakes subdivision, Betty Muse and her son John, the City of Frisco and the Heritage Association of Frisco were responsible for the donation of the Smith-Muse House and its relocation to the Frisco Heritage Center.
Heritage Stories
By Mike Cates, BG, U.S. Army Retired, Grandson of Frank Smith
Alfred “Frank” Smith, oldest son of A.F. and Lou Smith, served in the U.S. Army during World War I and trained in Texas and New Jersey before deploying to combat in France in early 1918. For most of his deployment, he was a soldier in the 128th Infantry Regiment, 32nd Infantry Division, participating in five military campaigns before being wounded on November 10, 1918—one day before the Armistice was signed.
Frank’s wounds resulted in the amputation of a significant part of his right leg and delayed his return home to Frisco until after his rehabilitation in France, New Jersey, and Iowa. For his military service, Private First Class Frank Smith was awarded the Victory Medal with six battle clasps and the Presidential Wound Certificate signed by President Woodrow Wilson. He continued living and working in Frisco until his death in 1981, and in 2012, the Army posthumously awarded him the Purple Heart.
A.F. Smith Jr. Family, circa 1910.
A.F. Smith Jr. and his wife Lou, builders of this home, on their wedding day, January 2, 1887.
Erected by Frisco Heritage Center.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is January 2, 1887.
Location. 33° 8.965′ N, 96° 49.833′ W. Marker is in Frisco, Texas, in Collin County. It is on Page Street west of Railroad Ave, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6463 Page St, Frisco TX 75034, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the Prairies & Lakes Region and in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Republic of Texas, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: The Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); Calaboose (within shouting distance of this marker); Schoolhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Gaby’s Blacksmith Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); Steam Engine & Caboose (within shouting distance of this marker); The Picture Show (approx. 0.4 miles away); McIntire-Montgomery Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Carpenter Bros. Ford Dealership (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frisco.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2026. It was originally submitted on August 16, 2026, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 4 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on August 16, 2026, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
