Plentywood in Sheridan County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
Public Improvement
Works Progress Administration
Works Progress Administration
1936-1937
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Charity & Public Work. In addition, it is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1937.
Location. 48° 46.696′ N, 104° 33.394′ W. Marker is in Plentywood, Montana, in Sheridan County. It is at the intersection of West Laurel Avenue and North Main Street, on the left when traveling east on West Laurel Avenue. The marker is on the staircase at the front/south Sheridan County Courthouse entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 West Laurel Avenue, Plentywood MT 59254, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the American Mountain West, in the Lewis & Clark Corridor, on the prairies, on the Great Plains, and specifically on the Northern Plains. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once Ruperts Land and also the Louisiana Purchase.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: The Fort Union Formation and the Ice Age (approx. 0.9 miles away); Sitting Bull / Tatanka Iyontanke (approx. 0.9 miles away).
More about this marker. There are two identical markers on the courthouse; one on the left and one on the right side of the south/front entrance staircase.
Also see . . .
1. Sheridan County Courthouse (Living New Deal).
Excerpt:(Submitted on August 21, 2026, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Site Type: Civic Facilities, Courthouses (State & Local)
New Deal Agencies: Work Relief Programs, Works Progress Administration
Started: 1937
Completed: 1938
This WPA project was constructed in 1937 and dedicated in 1938.
2. Sheridan County Courthouse (US County Courthouses).
Excerpt: The Art Deco 1936 white stucco courthouse sits at the corner of Laurel and Main streets. Edwin G. Osness and John G. Link are the architects. The building was remodeled in 1973 and enlarged in 1983. Sheridan County was established on March 11, 1913 as the 34th county. There was a basic wooden courthouse earlier in Plentywood, the only county seat. The county is named for Civil War General Phillip H. Sheridan.(Submitted on August 21, 2026, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 21, 2026. It was originally submitted on August 19, 2026, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 5 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 21, 2026, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.


