Center Square & Hudson/Park in Albany in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
168 Chestnut Street
Built by John G. Myers
Dry goods dealer at 39 & 41 N. Pearl St.
1899
Erected by Historic Albany Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1899.
Location. 42° 39.3′ N, 73° 45.865′ W. Marker is in Albany, New York, in Albany County. It is in Center Square & Hudson/Park. It is on Chestnut Street just east of Lark Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 168 Chestnut Street, Albany NY 12210, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Upstate New York and in the Capital District. It is also in the American Northeast and in the Mid-Atlantic. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Netherland and also one of the original Thirteen Colonies.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Birthplace of Erastus Corning II (a few steps from this marker); 165 Chestnut Street (a few steps from this marker); 119 Chestnut Street (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Glynn Mansion (about 500 feet away); 1883 (about 500 feet away); In Grateful Memory of Colonel Marinus Willett (about 600 feet away); Washington Avenue Armory (about 800 feet away); 397 State Street (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
Regarding 168 Chestnut Street. The house at 168 Chestnut Street is part of Brides Row, a group of houses at 144170 Chestnut built in 1899. An architectural history of Albany lists Brides Row among the projects of Edward Ogden & Son, while another Historic Albany Foundation plaque on Chestnut Street identifies John G. Myers as the Builder of Brides Row. Myers was one of Albanys leading retail dry-goods merchants. After entering business in 1865 with William M. Whitney, who later operated another of Albanys major department stores, Myers established his own store at 3941 North Pearl Street. A 1922 biographical account described him as the citys leading retail dry-goods merchant and noted his involvement in numerous Albany financial, civic, and charitable institutions, including Albany Hospital, Albany Rural Cemetery, the Albany Orphan Asylum, and Albany Female Academy. Myerss connection with the Ogden architectural practice predated Brides Row. Ogden & Wright, an earlier incarnation of the firm, listed the John G. Myers Block, 3941 N. Pearl Street among its 1884 projects. Historic Albany Foundation plaques on other nearby houses also document Myerss involvement in building on Chestnut Street.
Sources:
Downs, Winfield S. "Hilton and Allied Families." Americana, April 1922, pp. 179-180.
Historic Albany Foundation. Plaque at 155 Chestnut Street.
Waite, Diana S., ed. Architects in Albany. Albany, NY: Mount Ida Press and Historic Albany Foundation, 2009, pp. 16-18.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2026. It was originally submitted on August 19, 2026, by Trudi Jacobson of Slingerlands, New York. This page has been viewed 8 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on August 19, 2026, by Trudi Jacobson of Slingerlands, New York. 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 20, 2026, by Trudi Jacobson of Slingerlands, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.



