Southwest Portland in Multnomah County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
The First Congregational Church of Portland
(A United Church of Christ)
—Miguel D’Unamuno
Organized in 1851 and an integral part of Portland’s history, the congregation dedicated this its third edifice in 1895. Designed by the Swiss architect, Henry Hefty, it was modeled after Boston’s Old South Church in an Italian Gothic style. Originally the church had three towers and a cupola. The northwest tower and cupola shown in the original architect’s drawing at the left. In 1976 this structure was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places in recognition of its unique and exceptional design; its ivy-covered tower, with cream and red lacework is a well-known and admired feature of the Portland skyline.
Erected 1979 by Congregation of the First Congregational Church of Portland.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Religion & Religious Structures. A significant historical year for this entry is 1895.
Location. 45° 30.981′ N, 122° 40.936′ W. Marker is in Portland, Oregon, in Multnomah County. It is in Southwest Portland. It is at the intersection of Southwest Park Avenue and Southwest Madison Street, on the right when traveling north on Southwest Park Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1126 SW Park Ave, Portland OR 97205, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Oregon’s Columbia River Gorge and in the Willamette Valley. It is also on the American Pacific Coast, in the Pacific Northwest, and in the Lewis & Clark Corridor. Globally, it is in North America, on the Ring of Fire, in the Pacific Rim, in the Western Hemisphere, in the Western World, and in the Anglosphere.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Charles A. Sprague (a few steps from this marker); The Washington Ellipse (within shouting distance of this marker); Lincoln Bicentennial (within shouting distance of this marker); Theodore Roosevelt (within shouting distance of this marker); The Great Plank Road (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Peace Plaza (about 400 feet away); Simon Benson (about 500 feet away); Roosevelt Hotel (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Portland.
Also see . . . First Congregational United Church of Christ.
Our church was founded by Congregationalists and established on June 15, 1851, eight years before Oregon was designated as a state. The church's dedication sermon was preached by George Atkinson, who later became our third pastor. We moved to our current building in 1895.(Submitted on August 24, 2026, by Ian Lefkowitz of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2026. It was originally submitted on August 24, 2026, by Ian Lefkowitz of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 10 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 24, 2026, by Ian Lefkowitz of New York, New York. • James Hulse was the editor who published this page.


