Bridgeport in Wise County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Bridgeport Schools
Though the Bridgeport Community dates from 1860, documentation of early schools is incomplete. There are accounts of schools held in private homes, some churches, and the Masonic Lodge at its original site in Old Bridgeport along the Trinity River. In 1882, a two-room school costing $1,800 was built near the company store in old town. The school had a dirt floor and log seats. Teacher salaries were paid for by subscription of the students.
After Bridgeport relocated to the east along the Rock Island Railroad, a new school site was selected in 1894 at Cates and 11th Streets on Methodist Hill. In 1902, a bond election passed for a new school, which was a two-story frame building with seven classrooms and an assembly hall. A larger brick school, completed in 1910, was three stories with 13 rooms for a cost of $25,000. The Texas Legislature created the Bridgeport Independent School District in 1917. When nearby coal mines were at their peak of activity and many families of miners from Mexico were recruited to the area, William John gave land near the mines for a school named Mexican School No. 1 Camp No. 1. In 1930, this separate school closed and all students attended schools in Bridgeport.
A new school on Carpenter street was completed in 1929 and, besides classrooms, included a tax office, superintendent's office and an assembly hall. Later campus improvements included a gym, band hall, homemaking cottage and agriculture building. Bridgeport athletic teams took the unusual names "Bullies" (later "Bulls") and "Sissies." The Carpenter street campus was the high school until 1958, then became a middle school, additional school district purposes, and later a city facility. Area schools continue to provide an educational and social focus for the community.
Erected 2019 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 22507.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
Location. 33° 12.752′ N, 97° 45.177′ W. Marker is in Bridgeport, Texas, in Wise County. It is at the intersection of Carpenter Street and 15th Street, on the right when traveling west on Carpenter Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1407 Carpenter St, Bridgeport TX 76426, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the Prairies & Lakes Region and in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Republic of Texas, and one of the Confederate States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: First Baptist Church Bridgeport (approx. Ό mile away); Bridgeport Lodge No. 587, A.F. & A.M. (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. John the Baptizer Catholic Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Bridgeport (approx. half a mile away); Bridgeport Coal Mines (approx. half a mile away); First United Methodist Church of Bridgeport (approx. 0.7 miles away); Republic of Texas' Santa Fe Expedition in Wise County (approx. 0.9 miles away); Col. William Hudson Hunt (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bridgeport.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2026. It was originally submitted on August 31, 2026, by Jeff Leichsenring of Garland, Texas. This page has been viewed 7 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 31, 2026, by Jeff Leichsenring of Garland, Texas. • James Hulse was the editor who published this page.



