Southwest Portland in Multnomah County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
First Presbyterian Church
Historical Context
First Presbyterian Church, Portland, Oregon, was founded on January 1, 1854. The congregation initially worshiped in rented space at SW Front and SW Washington Street. The first building, constructed in 1863, was located at SW Third and SW Washington Street. In May 1883, the quarter block at SW 12th and SW Alder was purchased from Cyrus A. Dolph for the site of the present First Presbyterian Church building. By July 1886, the congregation had chosen W.F. McCaw as the architect and one year later, on May 2, 1887, the cornerstone, located at the base of the spire, of the new building was dedicated. The sanctuary was completed a few years later in 1890. In April 1886, the Trustees of First Presbyterian Church purchased the former home of J.K. Gill at SW 13th and SW Alder adjacent to the new church property. (J.K. Gill & Company was a well known Portland publisher of maps and books, including school textbooks.) The J.K. Gill property was later used in 1911 to erect the Parish House.
Architect: McCaw, Martin, and White
Construction Supervisor: W.L. Higgins
Construction cost: $120,000
The Garden Site
Harvey Whitefield Scott, editor of The Oregonian for forty years, and the person whom Mt. Scott is named after, owned property adjacent to the Dolph home. The Scott residence occupied the two eastern lots on SW Morrison between SW Thirteenth and SW Twelfth Avenues. Mr. Scott died in 1910 and two years later, his sons, Ambroe B. Scott and Leslie M. Scott, purchased the remaining western two lots along SW Morrison and for $50,000 collaborated to develop the Athens Hotel. The brothers, in 1924, expanded their business, the Scott Hotel Co., by constructing an expansion on the southeast quarter of the block for $135,000. In 1959, they sold their interest to Danmoore Hotel Inc. changing the name of the hotel to the Danmoore Hotel. The building remained on site until 2005.
(Captions)
Photograph Oregon Historic Society, # OrHi 10608
Erected by First Presbyterian Church.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Religion & Religious Structures. A significant historical date for this entry is May 2, 1887.
Location. 45° 31.242′ N, 122° 41.06′ W. Marker is in Portland, Oregon, in Multnomah County. It is in Southwest Portland. It is at the intersection
of Southwest Morrison Street and Southwest 12th Street, on the right when traveling west on Southwest Morrison Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1220 SW Morrison Street, Portland OR 97205, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Oregon’s Columbia River Gorge and in the Willamette Valley. It is also on the American Pacific Coast, in the Pacific Northwest, and in the Lewis & Clark Corridor. Globally, it is in North America, on the Ring of Fire, in the Pacific Rim, in the Western Hemisphere, in the Western World, and in the Anglosphere.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: The Telegram Building, 1922 (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bronaugh Apartments (about 700 feet away); Multnomah County Library (about 700 feet away); Whitney-Gray Building / Jake's Restaurant (about 700 feet away); Simon and Helen Director Park / Teachers Fountain (approx. 0.2 miles away); Roosevelt Hotel (approx. Ό mile away); Simon Benson (approx. Ό mile away); The Shemanski Fountain (approx. Ό mile away).
Touch for a list and map of all markers in Portland.
Also see . . . History (First Presbyterian Church of Portland).
January 1, 1854 - The First Presbyterian Church of Portland, Oregon is organized. It is the third Presbyterian Church to be organized in the Oregon Territory.(Submitted on September 1, 2026, by Ian Lefkowitz of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 2, 2026. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2026, by Ian Lefkowitz of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 6 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 1, 2026, by Ian Lefkowitz of New York, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.


