Graham in Alamance County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
National Bank of Alamance
Housed in this building
Constructed in 1906
Erected by Graham Historic District Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1899.
Location. 36° 4.138′ N, 79° 24.035′ W. Marker is in Graham, North Carolina, in Alamance County. Marker is on Court Square, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 36 SW Court Square, Graham NC 27253, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Graham's First Bank (a few steps from this marker); Alamance County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Alamance County Confederate Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); "Elmhurst" (within shouting distance of this marker); Vestal Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wrike Drug (about 400 feet away); Originally a Wing of the Union Hotel The Harden House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Graham.
Regarding National Bank of Alamance. The Bank of Alamance, which was organized on June 1, 1899, constructed this building after outgrowing a smaller structure on the site. In 1907, the bank’s name became the National Bank of Alamance and in 1968 it merged with First Union National Bank. The former bank is one of the few that did not close during the Great Depression.
Source: The Graham Walks Downtown Walking Map
Also see . . . Modern Progress, 1915. Some background on the National Bank of Alamance from 1915. (Submitted on May 28, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 21, 2010, by Paul Jordan of Burlington, N. C., U. S. A.. This page has been viewed 813 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 21, 2010, by Paul Jordan of Burlington, N. C., U. S. A.. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.