Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Charlotte Court House in Charlotte County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Charlotte Court House Historic District

 
 
Charlotte Court House Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, May 18, 2010
1. Charlotte Court House Historic District Marker
Inscription.  
The historic district, a rare example of a 19th-century rural courthouse town, is concentrated on two main streets. Begun as Dalstonburg in 1775 during the French and Indian War, and later called Marysville and Smithville, the town was named Charlotte Court House in 1901. The court square contains an 1823 courthouse designed by Thomas Jefferson, an 1830 records office, a 1900 clerk's office, and a 1936 jail. The district also includes antebellum houses, commercial buildings, churches, and a brick tavern. Ambassador David K.E. Bruce donated the library, library garden, and other county office buildings in the 1930s.
 
Erected 1995 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number FR-9.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureGovernment & PoliticsSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #03 Thomas Jefferson, and the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1775.
 
Location. 37° 3.367′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
N, 78° 38.331′ W. Marker is in Charlotte Court House, Virginia, in Charlotte County. Marker is at the intersection of David Bruce Avenue (Virginia Route 40) and Tanyard Spring Road, on the right when traveling east on David Bruce Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Charlotte Court House VA 23923, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Charlotte County Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry and Randolph (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Constitutional Oak (about 300 feet away); Charlotte County Confederate Monument (about 400 feet away); Veterans Memorial (about 400 feet away); Charlotte Court House (about 400 feet away); Campaign of 1781 (approx. half a mile away); Central High School (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charlotte Court House.
 
Also see . . .  A Walking Tour of Charlotte Court House. The Museum of Charlotte County website entry (Submitted on May 22, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.) 
 
David Bruce Ave (facing east) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, May 18, 2010
2. David Bruce Ave (facing east)
Charlotte Court House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, May 18, 2010
3. Charlotte Court House
Charlotte County Library image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, May 18, 2010
4. Charlotte County Library
Charlotte County APVA Museum exterior. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Lassman, August 18, 2018
5. Charlotte County APVA Museum exterior.
Looking south towards museum. Marker is about 20 yards from museum's front door.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 22, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,313 times since then and 139 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 22, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.   5. submitted on August 19, 2019.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=31022

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 20, 2024