South Saint Paul in Dakota County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Armour & Company
1919 – 1979
When Armour & Company began operations on a 47 acre site here on the west bank of the Mississippi River in 1919, it was acclaimed by the nation's press as the most modern meat processing plant in the world. It was the largest industrial plant in the Twin Cities and extended more than half a mile along the river. There were nine steam boilers in the power plant which provided heat and hot water. The $14 million, six-story complex of 1.6 million square feet included 22 buildings of which 450,000 square feet were refrigerated.
The plant opened in December, 1919, with some 2,000 employees. Recruitment in Europe produced an initial labor force with some 20 ethnic groups represented in the city. As the operation grew the community swelled to more than 20,000 at its peak. In 1919, Armour boasted its own branch of the St. Paul Public Library to promote continued education for its employees.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
The new immigrants were also encouraged to become naturalized citizens.
At capacity this plant processed 700 hogs hourly during an eight-hour shift, as well as 180 cattle and 1,000 calves and sheep. The operations were inspected daily by the United States Department of Agricultural (USDA). There were 21 railroad spur lines which served the site, assuring that the finished products could be swiftly moved to customers.
Armour operated 33 meat packing plants in the United States at one time and employed 60,000 people. The South St. Paul plant was the largest. Many of its products were shipped around the world, especially during the war years to aid U.S. and allied forces. At its peak operation, the plant employed close to 4,000 with the annual
Labor-management disputes flared during the life of the plant and in 1948 the Minnesota National Guard was dispatched to the site by the governor during a 10-week strike. Major floods in the 1950s and 1960s stopped production until a permanent flood wall was constructed in 1965.
Armour & Company was later acquired by the Greyhound Corp. with executive offices moved from Chicago to Phoenix. As the buildings aged, with equipment becoming obsolete, the plant was closed in 1979. The city of South St. Paul purchased the vacated plant in 1989 from a local real estate firm. The next year at a cost of $2.8 million the buildings were demolished. Today the site is part of Bridge Point, a commercial - industrial development.
Erected 1977 by the South St. Paul Chapter of the Dakota County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1919.
Location. 44° 53.248′ N, 93° 1.501′ W. Marker is in South Saint Paul, Minnesota, in Dakota County. Marker is on Armour Avenue west of Hardman Avenue South. Marker can be reached from Interstate 494, Exit 64A. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: South Saint Paul MN 55075, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are The Stockyards (approx. ¼ mile away); Swift & Company (approx. 0.6 miles away); Kaposia Village (approx. 2.3 miles away); Kaposia: Dakota Village on the Mississippi River (approx. 2.4 miles away); The Salem Evangelical Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Battle Creek Regional Park (approx. 3.3 miles away); Charles W. Holman (approx. 3.7 miles away); Geology of Minnesota (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in South Saint Paul.
Also see . . . Armour and Company. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on May 28, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 28, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 2,817 times since then and 291 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 28, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.