Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Maxton in Robeson County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Floral College

 
 
Floral College Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Crumlish, May 7, 2010
1. Floral College Marker
Inscription.  One of earliest colleges for women in the South, 1841-78. Centre Presbyterian Church, formerly the college chapel, is 150 yards north.
 
Erected 1941 by North Carolina Archives and Highway Departments. (Marker Number I-25.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducation. In addition, it is included in the North Carolina Division of Archives and History series list.
 
Location. 34° 46.723′ N, 79° 19.082′ W. Marker is near Maxton, North Carolina, in Robeson County. Marker is at the intersection of Red Springs Road (State Highway 71) and Oxedine School Road (State Highway 1312), on the left when traveling east on Red Springs Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Maxton NC 28364, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Angus W. McLean (within shouting distance of this marker); World War II Glider Pilots (approx. 3.1 miles away); Carolina College (approx. 3˝ miles away); Laurinburg-Maxton Army Air Base
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 3.8 miles away); Stewart-Hawley-Malloy House (approx. 6.1 miles away); John Charles McNeill (approx. 7.9 miles away); Gerald Johnson (approx. 7.9 miles away); Temperance Hall (approx. 7.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Maxton.
 
Wide view of the Floral College Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Crumlish, May 7, 2010
2. Wide view of the Floral College Marker
Looking South with the Angus W. McLean marker across Red Springs Road
Centre Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Crumlish, May 7, 2010
3. Centre Presbyterian Church
The former chapel and Steward's House (left) of Floral College remain in use still today.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 30, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,344 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 30, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=31305

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024