Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near New Canton in Buckingham County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Buckingham County / Fluvanna County

 
 
Buckingham County Side image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, February 27, 2010
1. Buckingham County Side
Inscription.  
Buckingham County. Located in the geographical center of Virginia, Buckingham County, the only county in the United States to bear that name, was formed in 1761 from Albemarle County. It is not known for which of the many Buckinghams in English history the county was named. With its Greek Doric courthouse, Confederate monument, and clerk's office, Buckingham County's court square exemplifies the classic 19th-century rural courthouse village.

Fluvanna County. Fluvanna County takes its name from an 18th-century term for the upper James River. The name, meaning river of Anne, was originally bestowed in honor of England's Queen Anne. The county was formed from Albemarle County in 1777. Among the county's outstanding architectural and historic resources are those included in the Bremo Historic District (Upper Bremo, Lower Bremo, and Recess) along with those in the Fluvanna County Courthouse Historic District. There at the county seat of Palmyra, a temple-form courthouse design by Gen. John Hartwell Cocke dominates a small cluster of court structures.
 
Erected 1999 by Department
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of Historic Resources. (Marker Number Z-22.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Patriots & PatriotismPolitical Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1761.
 
Location. 37° 42.528′ N, 78° 18.167′ W. Marker is near New Canton, Virginia, in Buckingham County. Marker is at the intersection of James Madison Highway (U.S. 15) and County Route 687, on the right when traveling south on James Madison Highway. Located just south of the bridge over the James River. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Canton VA 23123, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bremo (approx. 0.6 miles away); Carter G. Woodson Birthplace (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Carter G. Woodson Birthplace (approx. 1.4 miles away); In Memory of Dr. Carter G. Woodson (approx. 1.4 miles away); Carter G. Woodson, Ph.D. (approx. 1.4 miles away); Arvonia (approx. 2˝ miles away); Fork Union Military Academy (approx. 4.3 miles away); World War I Field Gun (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Canton.
 
Fluvanna County Side image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, February 27, 2010
2. Fluvanna County Side
Buckingham County / Fluvanna County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, February 27, 2010
3. Buckingham County / Fluvanna County Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 874 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 31, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=31358

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024