Canal Winchester in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Interurban Depot
Erected in 1905 by the Scioto Valley Traction Company, this station served as a terminal for passenger and freight service as part of an electric railway that connected Canal Winchester with neighboring towns in central Ohio. Known as the interurban, its arrival signaled the end of the gaslight era in the village. Regular service was maintained from 1904-1930 when improved roads and affordable automobiles rendered the system obsolete.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
This historical marker stands in the original path of the interurban track that once ran parallel to the station along the north side of the Ohio and Erie Canal. Direct current from the "third rail" provided power to the interurban trolley cars to achieve speeds in excess of 60 miles per hour. Passengers could purchase a ticket to ride from here south to Lancaster or north to Columbus via Obetz Junction where a transfer could take travelers southwest as far as Chillicothe.
Erected 2010 by Village of Canal Winchester and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 50.556′ N, 82° 48.38′ W. Marker is in Canal Winchester, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is about 200 feet SW of the intersection of High and Waterloo Streets, and is accessible from the municipal parking lot west behind the commercial buildings on South High Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 16 S High Street, Canal Winchester OH 43110, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Canal Winchester and the Ohio and Erie Canal (within shouting distance of this marker); Stradley Place (within shouting distance of this marker); Faith United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Canal Winchester (approx. 0.2 miles away); Prentiss School No. 8 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ohio's Oldest Active School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pvt. Alfred Cannon (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bergstresser/Dietz Covered Bridge (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canal Winchester.
More about this marker. Marker was dedicated in May 2010.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . . Canal Winchester Area Historical Society. (Submitted on June 1, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • 20th Century • Communications • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for The Interurban Depot.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 1, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 917 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on June 1, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.