Volusia in Volusia County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
William Bartram Trail
Deep South Region
classified flora and fauna for
shipment, here, at Spalding's
Upper Store, May and June 1774.
Erected by Pierson Garden Club, Pierson, Florida, in cooperation with Florida Federation of Garden Clubs, Inc. and Florida Department of State, Florida Department of Transportation.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Exploration • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the William Bartram Trails series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1774.
Location. 29° 10.13′ N, 81° 31.241′ W. Marker is in Volusia, Florida, in Volusia County. Marker is at the intersection of State Road 40 and Alice Drive, on the right when traveling west on State Road 40. Marker is located on the northeast corner where Alice Drive intersects Florida State Road 40, just east of the Astor Bridge. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Astor FL 32102, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Volusia (here, next Astor: "The Jewel of the St. Johns River" (approx. Ό mile away); Fort Butler (approx. half a mile away); Quarter's House (approx. 5.9 miles away); Lewis Log Cabin (approx. 5.9 miles away); Convict Cage Wagon (approx. 5.9 miles away); Midway Methodist Church (approx. 5.9 miles away); Huntington Post Office (approx. 5.9 miles away).
More about this marker. Marker is situated under the "Volusia Oak", on its eastern side in a plot maintained by the Astor Area Garden Club. It stands beside the "Volusia" historic marker.
The top of the marker features the insignia of the National Council of State Garden Clubs.
Regarding William Bartram Trail. Spalding's Upper Store was a trading post situated nearby along the banks of the St. John's River. It was established by colonist James Spalding in 1763. William Bartram had been to the area previously, in 1765, with his father John Bartram, royal botanist in America to King George III of Great Britain. John Bartram named nearby Lake George for his king.
Source: Wass de Czege, Albert. The History of Astor on the St. Johns, Astor Park, and the Surrounding Area, Third extended edition, pg. 11. Danubian Press, 1996.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,646 times since then and 124 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 1, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.