Johnson City in Blanco County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Blanco County Courthouse
Designed by San Antonio architect Henry T. Phelps, the 1916 Blanco County Courthouse was the first permanent courthouse built after the seat of government moved from Blanco to Johnson City in 1890. Serving as contractor for the project was stonemason James Waterston, who had come from Scotland to Texas in 1883 to aid in the construction of the state capitol. The Classic Revival limestone structure features doric columns and a domed cupola.
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 427.)
Location. 30° 16.685′ N, 98° 24.685′ W. Marker is in Johnson City, Texas, in Blanco County. Marker is on Pecan Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Marker is at the south entrance to the county courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 E Pecan Avenue, Johnson City TX 78636, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Blanco County (a few steps from this marker); Blanco County Veterans Memorial Flagpole (within shouting distance of this marker); 1894 Blanco County Jail (within shouting Dr. James F. Barnwell (within shouting distance of this marker); James Polk Johnson Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. James Odiorne (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church (about 600 feet away); L. B. J. Boyhood Home (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Johnson City.
Also see . . .
1. Blanco County. (Submitted on June 3, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Henry T. Phelps. (Submitted on June 3, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Government & Politics • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings • Political Subdivisions •
More. Search the internet for Blanco County Courthouse.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 3, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 981 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 3, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 4. submitted on September 6, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.