Jackson in Aiken County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Silver Bluff Baptist Church
This church, one of the first black Baptist churches in America, grew out of regular worship services held as early as the 1750s at "Silver Bluff," the plantation of Indian trader George Galphin. At first a non-denominational congregation with both white and black members, it was formally organized as Silver Bluff Baptist Church in 1773 with Rev. David George as its first minister.
The church, dormant for a few years during the American Revolution, was revived in the 1780s by Rev. Jesse Peter. The congregation moved from its original site in 1815, again in the 1840s, and for the last time to the present site in 1866. A large frame sanctuary built in 1873 was covered in brick veneer in 1920; it was demolished and the present brick church was built in 1948.
Erected 2001 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 2-21.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion.
Location. 33° 24.606′ N, 81° 53.51′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 360 Old Jackson Highway, Jackson SC 29831, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Redcliffe Plantation (approx. 1˝ miles away); Beech Island Agricultural Club (approx. 1.8 miles away); Beech Island Baptist Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); Historic Church (approx. 2 miles away); Downer Institute & School / Downer School, 1924–1986 (approx. 2 miles away); Savannah Town / Fort Moore (approx. 2.3 miles away); Signal Corps Aviation School (approx. 4.7 miles away in Georgia); Home of Governor Telfair (approx. 5.2 miles away in Georgia); Georgia’s First School of Medicine (approx. 5.3 miles away in Georgia); De L Aigle Brick Yard (approx. 5.3 miles away in Georgia).
Also see . . .
1. Silver Bluff Baptist Church. Official website of Silver Bluff Baptist Church. (Submitted on January 9, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. George Galphin. George Galphin (1708–1780) was an American Indian trader, Indian Commissioner, and plantation owner who lived and conducted business in the colonies of Georgia and South Carolina, (Submitted on January 9, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 7, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,789 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 7, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.