Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Market in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

New Market Presbyterian Church

 
 
New Market Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Lee Hattabaugh, June 5, 2010
1. New Market Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  Mary Miller deeded land in 1849 to serve both Methodist and Cumberland Presbyterian congregations. The original building burned and the Methodists in 1882 sold their interest in a second building. This second church destroyed by a tornado in 1884. Present building erected in 1888. In 1906 the Cumberland Presbyterians left to form a new church, and the remaining members affiliated with the First Presbyterian Church, USA; N.J. Powers, Minister.

National Register of Historic Places, 1988
 
Erected 1996 by Alabama Historical Association.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Alabama Historical Association series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1849.
 
Location. 34° 54.61′ N, 86° 25.766′ W. Marker is in New Market, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of New Market Road and Powers Street, on the right when traveling west on New Market Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Market AL 35761, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
measured as the crow flies. Town of New Market (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mount Paran Campground and Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Madison County Poorhouse Farm Site and Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Buckhorn Tavern / Buckhorn Tavern Skirmish (approx. 3.3 miles away); Old Limestone Road Skirmish (approx. 3.6 miles away); Site of Quick Airplane (approx. 4.3 miles away); Site of Bell Factory (approx. 6.4 miles away); John Williams Walker (1783-1823) (approx. 8.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Market.
 
New Market Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Lee Hattabaugh, June 5, 2010
2. New Market Presbyterian Church Marker
New Market Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Lee Hattabaugh, June 5, 2010
3. New Market Presbyterian Church
New Market Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Lee Hattabaugh, June 5, 2010
4. New Market Presbyterian Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 7, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 968 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 7, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=31658

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 5, 2024