Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Paine College

 
 
Paine College Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, June 6, 2010
1. Paine College Marker
Inscription.  Paine Institute, rechartered as Paine College in 1903, was founded Nov. 1, 1882, by the Colored Methodist Episcopal Church and the Methodist Epicscopal Church, South, at the urgent request of Bishop Lucious Holsey of the C.M.E. Church. The first educational institution for Negroes to be sponsored in the South by Southern churchmen of both races. Paine Institute was named for the Reverend Robert Paine, Senior Bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The Reverend Morgan Calloway, vice-president of Emory College, was elected president of the Institute. In 1804 Dr. George Wiliams Walker became president and served until his death in 1911. Paine`s first classes were held in rented rooms on Broad Street in January, 1884. In 1883 the Reverend Moses U. Paine of Missouri offered an endowment of $25,000.00 and in 1886 the Institute purchased and moved to a ten acre site on 15th Street. Two years later a four year college course was begun. John Wesley Gilbert, first graduate of Paine, became the first Negro member of the faculty, following further study at Brown University and at the American School of Classical Studies in Athens, Greece. Fully
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, the College has progressed with the support of the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church and the Methodist Church, counterparts of the founding churches.
 
Erected 1967 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 121- 46.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansEducation. In addition, it is included in the Christian Methodist Episcopal (CME) Church, the Georgia Historical Society, and the Historically Black Colleges and Universities series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1884.
 
Location. 33° 28.205′ N, 81° 59.785′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is on Druid Park Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Located between Central Avenue and Mulherin Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Augusta GA 30904, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Medical College of Georgia (approx. half a mile away); Stoney Nurses Home (approx. 0.7 miles away); Attorney James Madison Nabrit, Jr. (approx. ¾ mile away); Dr. George Nelson Stoney (approx. ¾ mile away); Shiloh Orphanage (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Honorable Edward M. McIntyre
Paine College Marker, looking north along Druid Park Avenue image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, June 6, 2010
2. Paine College Marker, looking north along Druid Park Avenue
(approx. 0.8 miles away); Rev. Essie Mae McIntyre (approx. 0.8 miles away); Dr. John M. Tutt (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. More about Paine College
 
Also see . . .  Paine College from Wikipedia,. ..."to provide a liberal arts education of the highest quality that emphasizes academic excellence, ethical and spiritual values, social responsibility, and personal development." (Submitted on June 8, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Paine College Marker, looking south image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, June 6, 2010
3. Paine College Marker, looking south
A partial campus view, Paine College from Druid Park Avenue image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, June 6, 2010
4. A partial campus view, Paine College from Druid Park Avenue
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 8, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 989 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 8, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=31673

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024