Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dearborn in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Commandant's Quarters

 
 
Commandant's Quarters Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, June 7, 2010
1. Commandant's Quarters Marker
Inscription.  This building was one of eleven built in 1833 for the United States Detroit Arsenal at Dearbornville. A walled compound, a 360 foot square, was erected to store military supplies on the frontier. Constructed of red brick in the Federal style, this Arsenal was located on strategic Chicago Road, now Michigan Avenue. The quarters were a center for social and cultural events in Dearborn until they were closed in 1875. The Commandant's Quarters later became a fire station, police station, church, courthouse, school facility, library, and meeting hall. The Dearborn Historical Commission acquired the building in 1949 and opened it as the city's Historical Museum on October 14, 1950.

Michigan History Commission. Department of State Registered Historic Building No. 4
 
Erected 1975 by Dearborn Historical Commission. (Marker Number HB4.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: MilitaryNotable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1927.
 
Location. 42° 
Commandant's Quarters Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, March 19, 2021
2. Commandant's Quarters Marker
National Register of Historic Places October 15, 1970
Click or scan to see
this page online
18.385′ N, 83° 14.636′ W. Marker is in Dearborn, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Michigan Avenue (U.S. 12) and Monroe Street, on the right when traveling west on Michigan Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 21950 Michigan Avenue, Dearborn MI 48124, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Michigan Soldiers Trained at U.S. Arsenal During Civil War (within shouting distance of this marker); A Military Reserve (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Arsenal 1833 - 1875 (within shouting distance of this marker); U. S. Arsenal - - - Armory (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); U.S. Arsenal-Sutler's Shop (about 400 feet away); U.S. Arsenal Officers' - Surgeons' Quarters and Barracks 1833 - 1875 (about 500 feet away); Westward Welcome (about 600 feet away); Bryant Branch Library (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dearborn.
 
Commandant's Quarters Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, June 7, 2010
3. Commandant's Quarters Marker
Dearborn Historical Museum image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, June 7, 2010
4. Dearborn Historical Museum
Commandant's Quarters Rear image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, March 19, 2021
5. Commandant's Quarters Rear
Rear view featuring two story veranda.
Commandant's Quarters Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, March 19, 2021
6. Commandant's Quarters Marker
Daughters of American Revolution marker 1930
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 7, 2010. This page has been viewed 833 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on June 8, 2010. Photos:   1. submitted on June 7, 2010.   2. submitted on March 22, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.   3, 4. submitted on June 7, 2010.   5, 6. submitted on March 22, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=31687

Paid Advertisement
May. 7, 2021