Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Athens in Henderson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Athens Review

 
 
The Athens Review Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Amanda Hartley, June 5, 2010
1. The Athens Review Marker
Inscription.  "The Athens Review" was established as a weekly newspaper by J. B. Bishop and George M. Johnson, editors and owners, on Dec. 24, 1885. The earliest newspaper in Henderson County, "The Athens Bulletin," had been founded by printer J. H. Cox and professor J. E. Thomas in 1873, 23 years after the present boundaries of Henderson County were established. It operated for about two years. Equipment owned by "The Athenian" from 1883 through early 1885 was used to print the first issue of "The Athens Review," a six-column, four-page publication with a subscription price of $1.50 a year.

In 1886, the paper was bought by William Dixon Bell, a 19-year-old Waco printer, who sold it to J. H. Walford in 1888. Col. R. E. Yantis of Van Zandt County bought it in 1900 and in 1901 published the first issue of "The Athens Daily Review" on June 20. Both newspapers have continued in operation since that time.

Throughout its history, "The Athens Review" has served the area as a community newspaper, encouraging community and supporting projects of benefit to the area. Devoted to the development and progress of Athens and Henderson County and their
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
people, the newspaper has been an important element in the area's heritage.

Adjacent small plaque reads:
Dedicated to past owners M. M. Donosky and E. C. Dwelle, Sr.
 
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9414.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Communications. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1991.
 
Location. 32° 12.173′ N, 95° 51.291′ W. Marker is in Athens, Texas, in Henderson County. Marker is on South Prairieville Street near West College Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 South Prairieville Street, Athens TX 75751, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Henderson County Courthouse (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Athens (approx. 0.2 miles away); Courts Under the Oaks (approx. 0.2 miles away); First National Bank (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Hawn Lumber Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dulcinea Ann Holland Thompson Avriett (approx. 0.2 miles away); Faulk-Gauntt Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sid Williams Richardson (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
 
The Athens Review Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Amanda Hartley, June 5, 2010
2. The Athens Review Marker
marker and small plaque
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 9, 2010, by Amanda Hartley of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 833 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 9, 2010, by Amanda Hartley of Tyler, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=31689

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024