Fremont in Sandusky County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Indian Gantlet and Race Course
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
From the present State Street
to the railroad bridge was
a famous Indian race track
and gantlet run by captives.
James Whittaker ran it so
well that he was adopted and
given land by the Indians.
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number C43.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Landmarks • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission series list.
Location. 41° 20.867′ N, 83° 6.79′ W. Marker is in Fremont, Ohio, in Sandusky County. Marker is on North Front Street north of West State Street, on the right when traveling north. This historical marker is located in downtown Fremont, just north of the State Street Bridge, which crosses the Sandusky River, on the west side of the River. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 253 North Front Street, Fremont OH 43420, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Fremont (within shouting distance of this marker); Minnie Louise Failing Home (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Soldier's Monument (about 800 feet away); Old Betsy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Stephenson (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Stephenson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Near This Spot (approx. 0.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial Flag (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fremont.
More about this marker. This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series (type C) which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars of 1790 to 1795, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related historical sites, that were marked with Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (type C) markers, along each of the military trails. Back when this historical marker was first erected, in 1930, Front Street was then part of State Route 53 and State Street was then part of US 20.
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers.
Originally, back in 1930, there were erected 70 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type C, markers. To date, there are only 20 some of them that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database. A number of them are presently missing, and presumed to be permanently lost.
Also see . . . Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on June 9, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 28, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 9, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,667 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 9, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 5. submitted on September 4, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 6. submitted on June 28, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.