Wingina in Nelson County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Buckingham County / Nelson County
Buckingham County. Buckingham County was formed from Albemarle County in 1761. The county seat is Buckingham, originally known as Maysville. In 1822 a courthouse, Virginia's first temple-form porticoed courthouse, was constructed there based on Thomas Jefferson's plans. The courthouse burned in 1869 and was rebuilt in 1873 to a similar design. Renowned American Revolutionary soldier Peter Francisco lived here for a number of years. It is also the birthplace of noted African American teacher, educator and historian Carter G. Woodson (1875-1950).
Nelson County. In the foothills of Virginia's Piedmont. Nelson County was formed in 1807 from Amherst County. The county was named for Thomas Nelson Jr., governor of Virginia from June to November 1781. The county seat is Lovingston. The Nelson County courthouse was built under the supervision of George Varnum in 1809, according to the plans submitted by Sheldon Crostwait, one of the justices. Though the courthouse has been modified and enlarged over the years, it is one of Virginia's best-preserved historic court structures.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education • Government & Politics • Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1781.
Location. 37° 38.294′ N, 78° 43.341′ W. Marker is in Wingina, Virginia, in Nelson County. Marker is on James River Road (State Highway 56), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wingina VA 24599, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William Cabell (here, next to this marker); Boyhood Home of Rev. Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin (1869-1939) (approx. 4.8 miles away); Peter Cartwright (approx. 8 miles away); Geographical Center of Virginia (approx. 9.1 miles away); Diuguidsville (approx. 9.2 miles away); Buckingham Courthouse (approx. 10.7 miles away); Thomas Jefferson's Lost Courthouse (approx. 10.9 miles away); a different marker also named Thomas Jefferson’s Lost Courthouse (approx. 10.9 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on July 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 10, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 791 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 10, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.