Society Hill in Darlington County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Long Bluff, 3/4 mile east on Great Pedee River, was the site of the first courthouse and jail for old Cheraws District in 1772. The town was known as Greeneville after the Revolution and remained the seat of justice until the formation of Darlington, Marlboro and Chesterfield Districts. Circuit courts and elections were conducted for a while longer.
At a Circuit Court held here on November 15, 1774, more than a year before the Declaration of Independence, the Grand Jury of Cheraws District denied the right of Parliament to levy taxes on them and declared themselves ready to defend with their lives and fortunes the right to obey only those laws made by their own elected representatives.
Erected 1965 by Darlington County Historical Society. (Marker Number 16-3.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1931.
Location. 34° 30.789′ N, 79° 51.003′ W. Marker is in Society Hill, South Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 112 Church St, Society Hill SC 29593, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Welsh Neck Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Lawrence Faulkner / Simon Brown (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Henry C. Burn House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Trinity Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Zachariah W. Wines (approx. 0.4 miles away); Society Hill Library Society (approx. 0.4 miles away); Caleb Coker House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Society Hill Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Society Hill.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study the marker shown.
Also see . . . Welsh Neck-Long Bluff-Society Hill Historic District National Register of Historic Places Nom. Form. (Submitted on June 11, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 11, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,156 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 11, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.