Fremont in Sandusky County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Major George Croghan
With but 160 men
Against 1300 British and Indians
Under Gen. Proctor and Tecumseh
On August 2, 1813
Erected 1903 by Col. George Croghan Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Military • Native Americans • War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1300.
Location. 41° 20.768′ N, 83° 6.947′ W. Marker is in Fremont, Ohio, in Sandusky County. Marker is on Croghan Street east of High Street, on the right when traveling east. This historical marker is located in the downtown area of Fremont, affixed to a rock, in the northwest section of the front yard of the Birchard Public Library. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 485 Croghan Street, Fremont OH 43420, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Fort Stephenson (a few steps from this marker); Old BetsySoldier's Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Fremont (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Near This Spot (about 400 feet away); Great Gathering Place (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Fremont (about 800 feet away); Indian Gantlet and Race Course (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fremont.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 11, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,050 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 11, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.