Ridgefield in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
The Village Center in the Early 1900s
— The Museum in the Streets —
Henry Mead and His Wife are seen standing on the stoop of their grocery store in the early part of the 20th century. The building was moved when Ridgefield Hardware built their new store in 1948. Today Ridgefield Hardware is one of the oldest family businesses in Ridgefield.
The Scott house, to the right of the Mead Store was built around 1714 on Proprietor's Lot #13 by Irish-born David Scott. In 1925 the house was moved around the corner to Catoonah Street to make way for Ernest Scott's (no relation to David) new brick commercial block. In 1999, the house was slated for demolition, but was saved by a group of preservationists. The house, now rebuilt, is located on Sunset Lane and serves as the town's Historical Society.
The American Women's Voluntary Services, Motor Transport Service, presented the public clock to the town in 1958 to commemorate its work during World War II. The AWVS unit worked with the American Red Cross and took part in many war effort fund raising events.
Erected by The Museum in the Streets®. (Marker Number 16.)
Topics and series. Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • War, World II • Women. In addition, it is included in the The Museum in the Streets®: Ridgefield, Connecticut series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1948.
Location. 41° 16.85′ N, 73° 29.917′ W. Marker is in Ridgefield, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Connecticut Route 35) and Catoonah Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 383 Main Street, Ridgefield CT 06877, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. More of the Great Fire (within shouting distance of this marker); Bissell's – Destroyed by Two Conflagrations (within shouting distance of this marker); The Great Fire of 1895 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Original Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Society of Ridgefield (within shouting distance of this marker); A Much-Loved Old Church and a Watering Trough for HorsesRidgefield, Connecticut (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Livery Stable and the First Catholic Church (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ridgefield.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 16, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 882 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 16, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.