Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Ridgefield in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

The Original Episcopal Church

 
 
The Original Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, June 2, 2010
1. The Original Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  
Here stood the original
Episcopal Church
erected in 1740
partly burned by
British soldiers
during the battle
of Ridgefield
April 27, 1777

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionWar, US Revolutionary.
 
Location. 41° 16.812′ N, 73° 29.914′ W. Marker is in Ridgefield, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Connecticut Route 35) and Governor Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Located in front of St. Stephen's Episcopal Church. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ridgefield CT 06877, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First Society of Ridgefield (a few steps from this marker); Bissell's – Destroyed by Two Conflagrations (within shouting distance of this marker); The Village Center in the Early 1900s (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lounsbury House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Confederate Bell (about 300
The Original Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, June 2, 2010
2. The Original Episcopal Church Marker
The marker is next to the hedge on the right, in front of St. Stephen's Episcopal Church.
feet away, measured in a direct line); More of the Great Fire (about 300 feet away); Ridgefield Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet away); The Great Fire of 1895 (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ridgefield.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 17, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 735 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 17, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.
Paid Advertisement
Oct. 23, 2020