North Vancouver in Greater Vancouver Regional District, British Columbia — Canada’s West Coast
Pacific Great Eastern Railway Station
Protected Heritage Building - 1913
Delay in completing the railway line up Howe Sound, and a decision to redirect the line under Esplanade towards the Second Narrows Bridge, led to the station's closure in 1928. The building was used temporarily as a bus terminal, before it was converted by C.H. Cates and Sons for office and storage use. In 1974, it was purchased by the City of North Vancouver and moved to Mahon Park. There, it became the community's first Museum and Archives. In 1997, the station was returned to the foot of Lonsdale, where it was restored and legally designated as a protected heritage building.
Erected by City of North Vancouver Heritage Program.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1928.
Location. 49° 18.617′ N, 123° 4.83′ W. Marker is in North Vancouver, British Columbia, in Greater Vancouver Regional District. Marker can be Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 Carrie Cates Court, North Vancouver, British Columbia V7M 3K7, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Paul's Church (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Nine O'Clock Gun (approx. 3 kilometers away); Sadie Marks (approx. 3.4 kilometers away); "Gassy Jack" (approx. 3.5 kilometers away); The Old Maple (approx. 3.5 kilometers away); Carnegie Library (approx. 3.5 kilometers away); Meet You Under the Clock (approx. 3.7 kilometers away); Canadian Bank of Commerce Building (approx. 3.7 kilometers away).
Regarding Pacific Great Eastern Railway Station. The building is now a museum operated by the North Vancouver Museum and Archives.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 17, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,073 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 17, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.