Ridgefield in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
The Museum in the Streets
During the American Revolution Ridgefield was the site of the Connecticut's largest land engagement with the British Army. On April 27, 1777 American patriots
In the early the 1800's commerce grew in town with the building of various mills and the establishment of hatters, tailors, carpenters, weavers, silversmiths and shoemakers. The 19th century also saw the birth of industry with the Resseguie and Olmstead carriage "manufactory" called the Big Shop, which was located on Main Street at the site of the current Congregational Church building. Other 19th century manufacturers made candlesticks, furniture and shirts. As they flourished, owners began to enlarge their homes or build new ones and the face of Main Street began to change. Main Street was improved and the land of the town common was divided up among abutting property owners.
After the Civil War a number of prominent new Yorkers eager to summer away from the city began building mansion-sized summer residences on South Main Street and on East and High Ridge. By the end of the century the town also boasted a number of very large estates whose owners and servants arrived at the town's depot on trains coming into the village from the Branchville-Danbury. From there, chauffeurs took them to their country homes. At this time a significant number of Italian immigrants immigrated to Ridgefield to work on these estates. Most of these families remained in Ridgefield throughout the 20th century and made a significant impact on the community both culturally and economically.
Today the railroad line, the town common and the original Congregational Church are gone. The Big Shop remains, as do many of the large homes that have graced Main Street since the late 1800's. In 1966 much of the area originally settled in 1708 was designated a state and local Historic District and in 1984 a National Historic District.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1910.
Location. 41° 16.042′ N, 73° 26.464′ W. Marker is in Ridgefield, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Ethan Allen Highway (U.S. 7) and Branchville Road (Connecticut Route 102), on the right when traveling north on Ethan Allen Highway. Located at the entrance to the Metro-North railroad parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ridgefield CT 06877, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Quarries, Abrasives and the "Fresh Air" Kids (here, next to this marker); Branchville – A Center of Italian–American Life (here, next to this marker); Old Hundred (approx. 0.7 miles away); Weir Farm National Historic Site (approx. 1.1 miles away); Ensign James Benedict House (approx. 2.7 miles away); Ye Burying Yard (approx. 2.7 miles away); State Police and the Benjamin Franklin School (approx. 2.9 miles away); Keeler Tavern (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ridgefield.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Take the Museum in the Streets Walking Tour in Ridgefield, Connecticut.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 18, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 683 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 18, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.