Ridgefield in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Bailey Avenue: A Short-Cut to the Train Station
— The Museum in the Streets —
Louis Bailey (1819-1899), a prominent member of the community, created Bailey Avenue for the purpose of building stores and residences, and for access to the train depot on Prospect St. He was an incorporator of the Ridgefield Savings Bank, a state senator, owner of the Bailey Inn and principal of Bailey and Gage, located in Old Hundred.
In 1882, Phineas Lounsbury donated land and money to build an elementary school on the northern side of Bailey Avenue. By 1912 the Center School had outgrown its needs, and a new school was built on East Ridge. The Center School then became the town's first high school until it also outgrew its space and students were moved to East Ridge.
The "Big Shop" originally stood at the southwest corner of Main Street and West Lane. It was moved to its present location in 1888 to make way for the new Congregational Church. Originally a carriage manufactory, it continued making simple carts until 1920, then served as an apartment house until it was completely restored as commercial space. (Marker Number 2.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 41° 16.898′ N, 73° 29.893′ W. Marker was in Ridgefield, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker was at the intersection of Bailey Avenue and Main Street (Connecticut Route 35), on the left when traveling east on Bailey Avenue. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Ridgefield CT 06877, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. The Museum in the Streets (here, next to this marker); The Great Fire of 1895 (within shouting distance of this marker); A Much-Loved Old Church and a Watering Trough for Horses (within shouting distance of this marker); More of the Great Fire (within shouting distance of this marker); The Village Center in the Early 1900s (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Village in the 1900s (about 300 feet away); The Livery Stable and the First Catholic Church (about 300 feet away); Bissell's – Destroyed by Two Conflagrations (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ridgefield.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Take the Museum in the Streets Walking Tour in Ridgefield, Connecticut.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 18, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 716 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 18, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.