Ridgefield in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
The Town Common and Hauley House
— The Museum in the Streets —
The First Meeting House was built on the green in 1713. In 1723 the first Congregational Meeting House was erected and served as a school, church and government building. It was replaced in 1800 by a second Meeting House, in use until 1888 when the current church on the corner of West Lane and Main Street was dedicated. The Town Common, today encompassing much of the front yard of the Methodist Church, was used for militia drills as early as 1727. The first pound was built in the churchyard on the village green, fenced in for community grazing of cattle, sheep and other animals. According to the Rev. Samuel Goodrich there were 2, 000 sheep in Ridgefield in 1800.
The Hauley House is one of the oldest houses in Ridgefield. When the Proprietors laid out the town, Lot # 5 was reserved for their first minister. By 1713 the Rev. Thomas Hauley, a graduate of Harvard College, arrived from Northampton, Mass. And began performing his pastoral duties. In 1714 he was elected Town Register, taking over that post from John Copp. Hauley continued serving the town until his untimely death in 1738. (Marker Number 23.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 236 Main Street, Ridgefield CT 06877, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rev. Thomas Hawley House (a few steps from this marker); Ridgefield Veterans Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Benedict Arnold's Betrayal and Lieutenant Joshua King (within shouting distance of this marker); Ridgefield's Colonial Plans (within shouting distance of this marker); Keeler Tavern and the “Big Shop” (approx. 0.2 miles away); Keeler Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ridgefield Veterans Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); The Confederate Bell (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ridgefield.
Regarding The Town Common and Hauley House. The name is variously spelt "Hawley" and "Hauley".
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Take the Museum in the Streets Walking Tour in Ridgefield, Connecticut.
Topics. This marker is included in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 18, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 770 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 18, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.