Sonora in Tuolumne County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Mark Twain Bret Harte Trail
“Queen of the Southern Mines”, settled 1848 by Mexicans from Sonora, Mexico. City government established 1849. “Sonora Herald”, first newspaper in California mines, established July 4, 1950. Single copy, fifty cents; yearly, twenty dollars. One pocket in Bonanza Mine yielded half million dollars. Nugget, “Holden Chispa”, weighing twenty-eight pounds, found 1851. Sonora made County Seat in 1852. Tuolumne Co. then extended to Coast Range.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, June 13, 2010
1. Sonora - Mark Twain Bret Harte Trail Marker
Here Mark Twain and Bret Harte found material for many stories.
Erected 1928 by Tuolumne County Chamber of Commerce.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Mark Twain Bret Harte Trail series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
Location. 37° 58.913′ N, 120° 22.909′ W. Marker is in Sonora, California, in Tuolumne County. Marker is on South Washington Street south of Church Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is mounted on a stone monument a few steps south of the intersection.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, June 13, 2010
2. Sonora - Mark Twain Bret Harte Trail Marker
Click or scan to see
Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sonora CA 95370, United States of America. Touch for directions.
this page online
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sonora Fountain (within shouting distance of this marker); Sonora Opera Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); First Two-Story House in Sonora (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of the Sonora Plaza Well (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sonora Inn (about 500 feet away); City Hotel (about 600 feet away); Sugg House (about 600 feet away); First Home of Wells Fargo & Company in Sonora (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sonora.
More about this marker. It is noted on the Nearby Marker Sonora Fountain that the original location was about 75 feet north at the intersection of Washington and Stockton Streets. It was removed from that site in 1959 and restored to this site in 1998.
Additional keywords. Gold Rush
Photographed By Merle Porter, Royal Pictures, Colton, California
3. Sonora, California
This postcard image is looking north from the intersection of Stockton Road and Washington Street - Original location of marker.
"Sonora, California is the seat of Tuolumne County. In 1848 this was known as Sonorian Camp, settled by Mexicans from the state of Sonora, Mexico. The streets were packed with as many as 5,000 miners on a Saturday night. The town was organized in 1848 to establish a hospital to treat one-half of the population who suffered from scurvy. In June of 1850 the new "gringo" government, unappreciative of Sonora's pioneers, imposed a $20 tax on foreign-born miners. Alarmed at the Yankee treachery, Mexicans and Chileans, fearing an attack pulled down their tents and left for new diggings. When the excitement subsided, Sonora found itself with but a fifth of its former poplulation"...MP
Merle Porter - Published by Royal Pictures - Colton,Ca
4. Sonora, California
Sonora is the county seat of Tuolumne. In 1848 this was a small camp settled by Mexicans from the state of Sonora. In June 1850 a tax of $20.00 was imposed on foreign-born miners. Mexicans and Chileans left the new town and went to Columbia where they hit it rich. The richest pocket mine was the Big Bonanza when three partners, who had acquired the mine at little cost in the 1870's, hit a deposit that produced $160,000 in one day, $500,000 in one week. There are a great number of old mining camps a short distance from Sonora...MP
Photographed By Lawrence & Houseworth, Publisher, circa 1866
5. View of Washington Street
Courtesy of the Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division
Photographed By Joseph Palermo, circa 1933
6. Joseph Palermo Posing on Washington Street (The Main Street of Sonora)
Joseph Palermo was in the service of the CCC in the early 1930's. This photo was taken while he traveled through the Mother Lode and shows the buildings at that time.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 19, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,027 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 19, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 4. submitted on June 30, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 5. submitted on June 3, 2011, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 6. submitted on September 13, 2010, by Nicholas Mickells of Omaha, Nebraska.