Jonestown in Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Built circa 1808, the mansion is the grandest Federal era (1780–1820) merchant’s townhouse standing in the City of Baltimore today. The ground floor was used for business and family gatherings, the second for formal entertaining, and the third for sleeping.
The mansion was sold to the Sisters of Mercy, who had come to Baltimore from Pittsburgh in 1855. By the mid-nineteenth century, German and Irish immigrants were renting rooms in the Mansion, and by 1857 a saloon was located here. It operated until 1889.
By the 1890’s, Russian Jews, many of them skilled tailors, rented rooms in the Mansion. It was transformed into a “sweatshop” for clothing manufacture. It continued as a sweatshop and home to immigrants into the early twentieth century.
In 1914, as part of the nationally sponsored Star-Spangled Banner Centennial Celebration, the Carroll Mansion was purchased by the City of Baltimore for preservation.
Erected by the City of Baltimore, William Donald Schaefer, mayor, rededicated 2005 by Martin O'Malley, mayor.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary • Women. In addition, it is included in the Maryland, Baltimore City historical markers, and the Signers of the Declaration of Independence series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1808.
Location. 39° 17.319′ N, 76° 36.275′ W. Marker is in Jonestown in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on Front Street 0.1 miles north of Lombard Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cistern (here, next to this marker); Small Brick Building (a few steps from this marker); Home of Edward Johnson (within shouting distance of this marker); Cast-Iron FaçadeBrewer’s Park (within shouting distance of this marker); The Star Spangled Banner Flag was Born Here (within shouting distance of this marker); Flag House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Baltimore Slave Trade (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jonestown.
Also see . . . Charles Carroll of Carrollton. (Submitted on October 28, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 28, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 4,688 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 28, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 10, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 7. submitted on September 7, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 8. submitted on December 17, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 9, 10, 11. submitted on October 28, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.