Blanchardville in Lafayette County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Predecessor of Blanchardville
These families founded Zarahemla or "City of God" and attracted other Mormons. In the early 1850s the community consisted of log cabins, a general store, and a grist mill. This short-lived community became Blanchardville by the late 1850s.
Erected 2000. (Marker Number 449.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1843.
Location. 42° 48.656′ N, 89° 51.727′ W. Marker is in Blanchardville, Wisconsin, in Lafayette County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (State Highway 78) and Mill Street, on the right when traveling south on South Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 South Main Street, Blanchardville WI 53516, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Zenas Gurley (approx. 0.3 miles away); Earliest Settlers (approx. 0.6 miles away); Green's Prairie Cemetery (approx. 5.7 miles away); Argyle (approx. 7.6 miles away); Partridge Hall Star Theatre (approx. 7.7 miles away); Hauge Log Church - 1852 (approx. 8˝ miles away); Battle of Pecatonica (approx. 10.3 miles away); The Battle of the Pecatonica (approx. 10˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blanchardville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 848 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 20, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.