Corpus Christi in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Corpus Christi
Worship services for the church were conducted in a renovated blacksmith shop at the corner of Mesquite and Starr Streets until about 1908. In 1910 the congregation built a brick sanctuary at Mesquite and Taylor, which served until new facilities were occupied on Ocean Drive on March 23, 1950.
From the late 1870's, when Corpus Christi was a small isolated coastal village, to the present, the First Baptist Church has led in the development of the area. Known for its community service ministries and its active support of Baptist programs, the church has also been instrumental in the formation of several local congregations. Ministers here have included such prominent Baptist leaders as Dr. J.M. Carroll, the church's first missionary
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1625.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1756.
Location. 27° 45.856′ N, 97° 22.959′ W. Marker is in Corpus Christi, Texas, in Nueces County. Marker is on Ocean Drive, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3115 Ocean Drive, Corpus Christi TX 78401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alonzo Álvarez de Pineda (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Alta Vista Hotel (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sisters of the Incarnate Word (approx. 0.6 miles away); Camp Scurry (approx. 0.7 miles away); Elihu Harrison Ropes (approx. 0.8 miles away); Moses Menger Elementary School (approx. 0.9 miles away); Clara Driscoll, the Driscoll Foundation & Driscoll Children's Hospital (approx. 1.1 miles away); Arthur Edward Spohn, M.D. and Spohn Hospital (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corpus Christi.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 21, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 996 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 21, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.