Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Castle in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

New Castle Common

 
 
New Castle Common Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By R. C., December 12, 2009
1. New Castle Common Marker
Inscription.  This land is part of a tract of one thousand acres set apart by William Penn in 1701 for the inhabitants of the town of New Castle. Trustees were appointed and incorporated by Penn’s heirs in 1764, whose successors still hold and manage the land.
 
Erected 1968 by Public Archives Commission. (Marker Number NC-13.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraPolitical SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1701.
 
Location. 39° 39.585′ N, 75° 33.779′ W. Marker is in New Castle, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on East Second Street, 0.1 miles north of Delaware Street, in the median. Located next to the statue of William Penn. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Castle DE 19720, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Presbyterian Church (a few steps from this marker); The Welcome Society of Pennsylvania (a few steps from this marker); Sheriff's House and County Jail
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(a few steps from this marker); New Castle Court House 1732 (within shouting distance of this marker); Frenchtown Railroad Sleepers (within shouting distance of this marker); Penn's Place (within shouting distance of this marker); William Penn (within shouting distance of this marker); Delaware's Independence Hall (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Castle.
 
Statue of William Penn and the New Castle Common Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Roger Dean Meyer, October 8, 2006
2. Statue of William Penn and the New Castle Common Marker
William Penn (1644–1718) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Roger Dean Meyer, October 8, 2006
3. William Penn (1644–1718)
1984 bronze by Charles C. Parks (1922– ) is approx. 8 feet high. The circular base on the marker includes the wording, “The citizens of New Castle Del. presented to William Penn, 1644–1718, the key to the fort, one turf with a twig upon it, a porringer with river water and sovle.”
The gifts symbolized his proprietorship of Pennsylvania which at that time included the three lower counties that became the state of Delaware.
William Penn Statue (detail) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By R. C.
4. William Penn Statue (detail)
The key to the fort, one turf with a twig upon it, a porringer with river water and sovle.
William Penn Statue (detail - additional plaque) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By R. C.
5. William Penn Statue (detail - additional plaque)
This plaque reads:
The Welcome Society of Pennsylvania honors the city of New Castle Delaware where William Penn first landed in the New World, 27 October 1682.
Erected by the Welcome Society of Pennsylvania
27 April 2002
New Castle Common Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Roger Dean Meyer, October 8, 2006
6. New Castle Common Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 16, 2022. It was originally submitted on October 29, 2007, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 2,624 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on December 14, 2009, by Ronald Claiborne of College Station, Texas.   2, 3. submitted on October 29, 2007, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.   4, 5. submitted on December 14, 2009, by Ronald Claiborne of College Station, Texas.   6. submitted on October 29, 2007, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=3212

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024