Dupont Circle in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
General Federation of Women’s Clubs
GFWC was chartered by the 56th U.S. Congress in 1901. Since 1922, 1734 N Street, NW, has served as GFWC’s Headquarters, housing office space and formal reception areas. In 1984, the GFWC Women’s History and Resource Center was established to collect, preserve, interpret, and promote the history of GFWC and women volunteers.
In 1991, GFWC Headquarters was designated a National Historic Landmark, in recognition of its “national significance in commemorating the history of the history of the United States of America.”
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Landmarks • Women. In addition, it is included in the National Historic Landmarks series list.
Location. 38° 54.427′ N, 77° 2.391′ W. Marker is in Dupont Circle, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on N Street Northwest east of 18th Street Northwest. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1734 N Street Northwest, Washington DC 20036, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Elliott Coues House (a few steps from this marker); The Stephanie Tubbs Jones Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle (about 400 feet away); Admiral Miguel Grau (about 400 feet away); Bernardo O'Higgins (about 400 feet away); The Paul and Phyllis Nitze Building (about 400 feet away); "Single Form" (about 400 feet away); You are standing at the edge of Embassy Row (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dupont Circle.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 10, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 21, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 811 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 21, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.