Lutz in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Lutz Elementary School
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
August 15, 1996
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1927.
Location. 28° 8.867′ N, 82° 27.702′ W. Marker is in Lutz, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 41 and 4th Avenue SE, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 41. Marker is mounted on the front of the building, to the right of the main entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 18819 US Highway 41 North, Lutz FL 33549, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Concord Stagecoach Road (approx. 5˝ miles away); Bruce B. Downs Boulevard (approx. 6.8 miles away); Dupree Gardens (approx. 7 miles away); Florida Honors and Remembers our POW’s and MIA’s (approx. 7 miles away); Odessa (approx. 7˝ miles away); Ehren Community (approx. 8 miles away); Capt. Nathaniel Wyche Hunter (approx. 8 miles away); The Largest Orange Grove in the World (approx. 8.4 miles away).
Regarding Old Lutz Elementary School. The brick schoolhouse was designed by architect Frank A. Winn, Jr. in the Colonial Revival style. The 1927 brick building was preceded by an wooden building erected in 1911. The land for the school was donated by the North Tampa Land Company.
The Old Schoolhouse continued in use until 1976, and is the oldest public building in the community of Lutz. The Hillsborough County Board of County Commissioners had the building restored in 1998. The current Lutz Elementary School is behind the Old Schoolhouse.
The Old Lutz Schoolhouse is a Hillsborough County Historic Landmark.
Additional keywords. North Tampa Land Company, Colonial Revival, Frank Winn Jr.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 24, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,150 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 24, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.