Beeville in Bee County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Commercial National Bank
Housed on the northwest corner of the courthouse square in a two-story brick edifice, the bank was successful from the beginning. Profits were posted from its first quarter of business, and by 1895 stockholders received a dividend of four percent.
The bank building was remodeled in the 1930's and was modernized and expanded in the 1950s. A new banking facility was added south of the original structures in 1965 and included drive-in teller windows. A banking facility was added at Chase Field Naval Air Station in 1967. The main bank building added more space and drive-in windows in 1976 and 1982.
A branch bank was added in 1985 at College North Shopping Center, and in 1991 the First State Bank of Mathis was established as a branch bank.
Many Prominent citizens have been associated with the bank, including state legislators. The
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7146.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 28° 24.079′ N, 97° 44.971′ W. Marker is in Beeville, Texas, in Bee County. Marker is on West Corpus Christi Street west of South Washington Street (Business U.S. 181), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 South Washington Street, San Antonio TX 78201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Douglas A4 Skyhawk (within shouting distance of this marker); Praeger Building (within shouting distance of this marker); First Brick Building on Square (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bee County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Beeville on the Poesta (about 400 feet away); Barnard E. Bee, Sr. (about 400 feet away); Beeville Post Office (about 600 feet away); McClanahan House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beeville.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 19, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 26, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 825 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 26, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. 2. submitted on October 19, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. 3. submitted on June 26, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.