Florence in Pinal County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Camp Florence, an army training facility, once occupied the grounds now known as "Four Parks". Beginning in 1943 it housed Italian and German prisoners from WWII.
This bell hung in a stone chapel built by Italian prisoners. When the camp was dismantled, Jerry Thompson preserved the bell. His widow Marge donated the bell to the Florence Gardens History Committee in 2005.
May future generations be reminded of Camp Florence and it's role in History.
Erected 2009 by Florence Gardens History Committee.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Military • Notable Places • War, World II. A significant historical year for this entry is 1943.
Location. 33° 4.481′ N, 111° 22.818′ W. Marker is in Florence, Arizona, in Pinal County. Marker is at the intersection of North Illinois Street and Arizona Boulevard, on the left when traveling north on North Illinois Street. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Florence AZ 85132, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bear Down (approx. 1.3 miles away); Poston's Butte (approx. 1.3 miles away); Chas. D. Poston (approx. 2.1 miles away); Carmen Michea House (approx. 2.7 miles away); Michea House and Lone Star General Store (approx. 2.7 miles away); Walker – Oury House (approx. 2.7 miles away); Levi Ruggles (approx. 2.7 miles away); Silver King Florence Hotel (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florence.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 26, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,286 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 30, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.