Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Joseph Stoner House
Erected 1972 by Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 18.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music • Industry & Commerce • Law Enforcement. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1863.
Location. 43° 4.208′ N, 89° 23.045′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of South Hamilton Street and West Wilson Street, on the left when traveling south on South Hamilton Street. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Nathan Dane (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Law Park (about 300 feet away); Doty School (about 500 feet away); La Follette House (about 700 feet away); Baskerville Apartments (about 800 feet away); Mohr / Christoffer Block (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jackman Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Smith and Lamb Block (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Joseph Stoner House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "This Italianate house, built of our local sandstone, was constructed in 1858 for Henry and Janet Staines. The Staines family were Scottish immigrants who first settled in Sauk County and later moved back there. In 1863 the house was briefly owned by a butcher Robert and Christina Nichols. In 1865 the house was sold to Joseph J. and Harriet Stoner, who lived there for two decades. Joseph Stoner had an interesting occupation - he published birds'-eye views of cities all over the country, views which now are significant records of the history of our nation in the 19th century. In 1884 the Stoners retired and lived on a farm outside of Madison, moving to California in 1902. Joseph Stoner died in 1917. The next owners were plumber Thomas and Susan Regan.
"From 1922 to 1957, Varley and Ellen Bond owned the house and undertook significant renovations, but afterward it was used as offices until it fell into such disrepair that it stood vacant and deteriorating for over a decade. In 1983 the Wisconsin Architects Foundation received the building and moved it to the corner of the block to make way for a condominium project. The Foundation undertook a major restoration of the building and have had their offices there since."
Also see . . .
1. The Joseph J. Stoner House Booklet. The history of the Joseph J. Stoner House, in Madison, Wisconsin. The building is owned by the Wisconsin Architects Foundation and home to AIA WIsconsin. (Submitted on January 21, 2011, by Brenda Taylor of Madison, Wisconsin.)
2. The Stoner House: A Piece of History. (Submitted on January 21, 2011, by Brenda Taylor of Madison, Wisconsin.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 16, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,622 times since then and 55 times this year. Last updated on June 30, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 16, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.