Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
"by the skin of our teeth"
On July 1, 1863, Gettysburg's center square was the eye in the storm of panic and confusion that swirled in the town's streets and alleys as the routed Union 1st and 11th Corps fled toward the safety of Cemetery Hill.
Some Union soldiers rallied here in an attempt to stem the Confederate pursuit. Union artillery deployed nearby and sent "grape shot" flying across the square. The relentless Confederate pressure, however quickly drove the defenders further down Baltimore Street.
The pursuing Confederates took possession of the square and poured deadly fire along the streets into their fleeing foes.
Col. Gilbert Prey, commander of the 104th New York whose regiment survived the hailstorm of bullets, recalled getting through the town "by the skin of our teeth."
Over 3,000 of his comrades were not so fortunate.
Erected by Main Street Gettysburg, Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1842.
Location. 39° 49.873′ N, 77° 13.849′ W. Marker is in GettysburgTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lincoln Square Building (here, next to this marker); Old Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); The Wills House (within shouting distance of this marker); " It was enough to frighten us to death!" (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Wills House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Wills House (within shouting distance of this marker); "It seemed so awful..." (within shouting distance of this marker); Return Visit (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
More about this marker. In the center of the marker is a map of downtown Gettysburg depicting the route of the Union retreat and the positions occupied later by both sides in and to the south of town. On the right are photos of Carlisle Street looking north from the town square, ca. 1880, and Baltimore Street looking south from the town square, ca. 1880.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,361 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 12, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 2. submitted on June 30, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on June 8, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.