Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Erected 1972 by Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 10.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1855.
Location. 43° 4.752′ N, 89° 23.251′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of East Gilman Street and North Pinckney Street, on the left when traveling east on East Gilman Street. The marker is on the ground by the sidewalk in front of the house. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bashford House (within shouting distance of this marker); Keenan House (within shouting distance of this marker); Pierce House (within shouting distance of this marker); Keyes House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Governor's Mansion (about 300 feet away); Period Garden Park (about 300 feet away); Mansion Hill Historic District (about 300 feet away); Timothy Brown House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Kendall House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "John E. Kendall from New York built this sandstone home in 1855, the first of the four houses at the corner of Pinckney and Gilman; but he sold it soon after construction and it is not clear which of several early owners may have actually lived in the house. In the late 1860s, at the height of Madison's resort era, this mansion was used as a summer home by the St. Louis family of D. R. Garrison, president of the Southern Pacific Railroad. The house was originally styled by August Kutzbock in the Italianate mode, with a low, hipped roof and a cupola. However, in 1873 a Mansard roof was added to adapt it to the more modern French Second Empire style.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,280 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 1, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.