Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Routon in Henry County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Camp Tyson

 
 
Camp Tyson Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Currey Russell, June 27, 2010
1. Camp Tyson Marker
Inscription.  
Named in honor of Brig. Gen. Lawrence D. Tyson U.S. Senator and veteran of the Spanish-American and First World wars, Camp Tyson was the only barrage balloon training center in the U.S. Army during World War II. Construction began on this 6,115 acre site on Sept. 4, 1941, at a cost of $10 million. Under the command of Brig. Gen. John B. Maynard, thousands of American servicemen were trained here for Barrage Balloon Service of the Coast Artillery Corps.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4A 41.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: MilitaryWar, World II. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1853.
 
Location. 36° 13.642′ N, 88° 22.711′ W. Marker is near Routon, Tennessee, in Henry County. Marker is on Willoughby Road, 0.2 miles north of Austin Peay Memorial Highway (U.S. 79), on the left when traveling north. There is a large paved area in front of the marker for parking. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Henry TN 38231, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
D-Day image. Click for full size.
via Smithsonian Institution, 1944
2. D-Day
Barrage balloons protect dozens of ships on the Normandy beaches as they offload the men, material, and munitions needed to expand the beachhead. NARA 342-FH-3A17185-71287AC
Click or scan to see
this page online
are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Governor Thomas Clarke Rye (approx. 5.1 miles away); E.W. Grove-Henry County High School (approx. 5.3 miles away); Battle of Paris (approx. 5.3 miles away); E. W. Grove High School (approx. 5.3 miles away); Gov. James D. Porter Home (approx. 5.8 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 5.9 miles away); Dr. Bobby Jones (approx. 5.9 miles away); Henry County Courthouse / Henry County (approx. 6 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Protecting the Beaches with Balloons: D-Day and the 320th Barrage Balloon Battalion. Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum website entry (Submitted on January 11, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 
 
Camp Tyson Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Currey Russell, June 27, 2010
3. Camp Tyson Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 11, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2010, by Currey Russell of Indian Mound, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 1,115 times since then and 95 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on June 30, 2010, by Currey Russell of Indian Mound, Tennessee.   2. submitted on January 11, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.   3. submitted on June 30, 2010, by Currey Russell of Indian Mound, Tennessee. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=32471

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 23, 2022