Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
a site for two legends
After the battle the body of an unidentified soldier was found in the side yard to its left clutching a photograph of three young children. The country-wide circulation of that photo led to the identification of Sergeant Amos Hummiston, 134th NY regiment, and generated a national concern with the plight of war-orphaned children and a movement to provide needed care.
The present building housed the automobile dealership of Eddie Plank in the early years of the 19th century. Plank was a native son who pitched for the Philadelphia Athletics (1901-19) and is enshrined in the Baseball Hall of Fame. A former employee recalled: "Everybody knew Eddie Plank ... you couldn't get in the place."
Erected by Main Street Gettysburg, Inc., National Park Service / American Battlefield Protection Program.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Sports • War, US Civil.
Location. 39° 49.86′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. James Lutheran Church (within shouting distance of this marker); a pathway to safety (within shouting distance of this marker); Gettys Crossroads and Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Gettys' Tavern Site (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Roll of Honor (about 300 feet away); "harboring Confederates" (about 300 feet away); Amos Humiston (about 400 feet away); The Wills House (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
More about this marker. On the right is a photo of Plank captioned, Gettysburg's Eddie Plank during his Big League days as a Philadelphia Athletic (1901-1919). Further to the right is a photo of The Judge Russell house ca. 1890, shortly before its demolition. The fenced yard to the left is where Sergeant Humiston was found.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 794 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 30, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2, 3. submitted on November 6, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.